Wednesday, May 6, 2009

camping in droopiness

This one is for the week which we had the ‘summer’ camp. So this week, I’m posting 2 blogs to make up for last week.

“This is absolutely not some sort of National Service,” was what Mr Al told us before we went for the camp. I was truly relieved. I was apathetic with the whole idea, the activities..everything. I went for it without any much hesitation because I had nothing better to do except studying economics which I truly doubted I would do. When the day for the camp arrived, I was a bit excited because I saw all my friends rushing up and down the stairs, in and out of the house, even to and fro from OU, looking for stuffs we would be needing. One day before the camp, we had just finished our maths test so we went to OU to release our tension, to watch some movies and also to look for things for the camp. Our main aim of shopping was to buy some tracksuits, then go to the movies. Instead, we got ourselves diverted from the real objective so we had to go back shopping the next day.

The journey to our destination was a rough one, at least for me. I hate buses because I’ve had more than enough of them. I take the bus every time I go back to my hometown and it takes at least five hours to reach the place. Buses give bumpy rides so I feel sick each time I take it. Now, this one which I took for the camp, was worse. I’m not complaining here, just pouring out what I can’t at the time. This bus jumped while it wheeled down the road. I thought I could take it until...I realized I had one of the worst views I wouldn’t want to have in all my life. I don’t want to describe it...To make it even worse, when it came for the bus to climb up the hills on the way to the resort, it was literally crawling up and down those hills. I stayed very quietly not trying to make my nerves snapped till my little sister called. She complained because I didn’t tell her that I was going for some ‘days off’. ‘Why should I bother when I don’t even want to go?!’ The line was not clear so I had to press my ear closer to the phone and having my ear grilled. I was exasperated but I did nothing to show it because I did not want to upset my sister, by brain and my patience.

The first thing that I enjoyed at the camp was the truck ride up the hill to the very resort. It was thrilling than a roller coaster and I think theme parks should all have one. Along the way, I saw a weird-looking pool which I didn’t know what purpose it has being there. When we reached the resort, there was one more unusual pool which I later found out that it’s for people swimming. ‘what a weird thing to do to be wading in such a pool’ was the thought I had. It was ironic because I later enjoyed losing myself in the pool.

When all of us arrived, we were given a briefing about our meals, and accommodation. We were not allowed to dine without having everybody present too, and we were to wash our own dishes and to fetch the pillow cases and bed sheets on our own. I had the feeling that this is all very familiar and I finally got it when I carried my luggage up the hill to the hall. The National Service! Oh no... To think that I bought Mr Al’s words, I was naive to do so. But that was only the beginning and my perception changed eventually... –to be continued-

No comments:

Post a Comment