Sunday, January 25, 2009

sweet cameron

I’m writing this on my comfy bed, in my cool room, all by myself, surrounded with love from my family who are here in this house, now. I am very calm, so I expect to write something better than the last two. Yesterday was tiring as I went haywire to make sure I don’t miss the bus as I had once experienced. The departure for home had always been rushing and exhausting. The buses were always noisy and the five-hour rides were always bumpy and jerky. I know a lot of other people had gone through things a hundred times worse than this but this is enough to drive me crazy once in a while.

This Chinese New Year holidays won’t be quite a holiday after all. We have got a lot of homework and assignments to work on and new subject topics to introduce to ourselves. I don’t really mind actually because I would always be consistent for this course. I have all the homework to keep me going and to stay away as far as possible from the possibility that I will become slothful. At least I hope so. I am aiming to get all my homework done and to study a bit about the third chapter on Chemistry, before the holidays end. I thought the reason why I can’t study at the student house is that I was distracted to the ‘chaos’ created by the girls in my house. They are always with high spirits and excited. Truthfully, I found this quite disturbing at first because I used to study alone and prefer it that way but then I realized that I was the one who chose to feel being pushed aside by not participating in all the excitement. Now, I’m trying to adapt myself to the living style here, studying in groups and going for outings whenever I need to.

I’ll talk a bit about how I usually spend my holidays throughout my life. Roughly, every five years, my family and I would go for vacations which were quite eventful for us. We never went to places overseas for the holidays but we went to places in other states. They were not as extraordinary but as we seldom go anywhere, going for average holidays had always been great fun. We had been to the peak of Cameron Highlands, called Brinchang. We followed my mother’s school trip, so there were about 40 of us. We were very fortunate to have been there because now, people are not allowed to hike to the top of Brinchang Hill. We were supposed to climb on foot all the way , 15 kilometres to the top. But when most of us were constantly stopping and panting, a small truck was hired to take a few people up the hill. I didn’t see the rest of my family boarding the back of the truck because I was way ahead of them. When the truck took over me, then I saw my family shouting to me to get on too. The truck would not stop so I have to catch it up and climbed into it. The hill was quite steep so I was panting very hard to catch up with the moving truck. The truck did stop but at that time, I was halfway in the truck already so when it halted, I was hurled all the way in, at the back of the truck.

Up there, it was very cold that we had to wear at least four pieces of clothing to get warmer. We didn’t even bath because the water was freezing cold and plus, there was not even one drop of sweat on our bodies, so we didn’t stink. The sun was hardly seen even during noon. Once, when we saw a glimpse of it, we screamed along with the other people that were there with us. We thought climbing up the hill was extremely exhausting, but actually, going down was worse. We had to stop ourselves from stumbling down the hill, because there was a strong gravitational force pulling us down. It got colder when we climbed the hill, but when we walked down towards the foot, it got warmer. So, along the way down, we had to strip off our clothes one by one till the last piece remained.

Other than the famous strawberry garden, we visited the Boh Tea Factory. We were enlightened by a tour guide who told us how the tea leaves were processed into tea in teabags. Then, we had vanilla, strawberry and orange flavoured tea in the tea cafe nearby. None of them is tasty for any of us, except for the vanilla tea. You might think that it would look like tea with milk which has the milky, cloudy colour. It actually looked like an ordinary tea but it tasted like vanilla all right. Another thing is that, I am never very fond of strawberries because I always think that that the round, swelling shape they have is because of the big fat worms hiding in them. My assumption was proved to be true when my sister took a big bite of a big juicy strawberry, and found a squirming black fat worm in the centre of the fruit. My second fear was that she might eat the worm too without noticing it if she gobbled down the strawberry whole! Therefore now, whenever I eat strawberries, I have my own procedures to make sure they are safe for me.

2 comments:

  1. hey!!
    cameron highlands!
    mia, did u get any cactus??
    hahhaha~ if u did, maybe u can put yours next to mine (which are currently sitting on near the window. i forgot to water it, it's been 1 month!)
    ^_^

    dun eat too many strawberries! remember franklin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete