Friday, April 10, 2009

hamsters, Kelly and ghost-teddy...

I have got many new family members this week. I am overjoyed and so are my sisters. One of my cats at home just gave birth to a litter of four kittens and my big sister’s hamster also just gave birth to another batch of hamster babies. Plus, she adopted a pair of another kind of hamster. This new pair of hamsters is very friendly. They don’t run away whenever the cage was opened. They wait for their treats when my sister pulled out some. They love to cling to the cage bars like monkeys. The old pair run away and hide every time my sister loses attention. They only come out of their hideout from somewhere in the room when they were hungry. They disappear one day and would appear again a couple of days later, sitting in the middle of the open space with their little grumbling stomachs.

I’ve heard of the name ‘Ned Kelly’ a lot of times before, since I was little. But I never knew what does it mean and I never cared. I shouldn’t right? Because it has nothing to do with me! Hahaha... Now I have to really know the fact behind the two words as I am now studying AUSMAT and I have to know about a bit of everything about Australia. I thought it was ridiculous to remember the entire event that ever occurred in the history of Australia. I might even forget who or what Ned Kelly is or was. Then when I finally discovered the truth behind the story of Ned Kelly, I felt very sorry for him. At first reading, I thought Ned Kelly was an inconsiderate convict. I only knew later that he was because many people thought so, not because he really was. I read some parts of the Jerilderie Letter and I had an extremely tough time trying to make sense of it. But what I know for sure is that, the letter was the truth and he was really miserable and hurt when he wrote that.

Then I found out that many films, plays and other forms of art were being created in appreciation of the legend. One of the latest movies that were produced is the one which Heath Ledger starred. He is one of my few favourite actors and I think I would enjoy the movie because he was able to make the Ned Kelly character more pitiful than ever. He was a great actor after all and that’s what actors do best – feeling the character. It is very remarkable to me that how brilliant actors play scenes and make them so, very realistic and that make us jump, cry or laugh every time they do.

When we were little, we believe in every made-up story from the grownups right? Of course fairy tales are exceptional because they were too good to be true, that even immature kids know they are all bluffs. When I was about five or six, and my sisters were either three years older or younger than me, my big sister told me about an old teddy-bear that sucked humans’ blood during the night. It was regular doll but with stitches on one side of the head. We had a teddy bear that she claimed looked like the killer teddy. It scared us every night. But now, I know for sure that is also a lie. One day last year, I heard the story again but this time it was from my friend from another state, far away from where we live. I thought my sister made it up!! Could it be that the story was well-known because it was once true?? Naaah..!!

Who knows...?

No comments:

Post a Comment