Friday, April 3, 2009

academic? i don't think so.

Friday is a day when people in my class laugh their heads off. Friday morning is a typical rushing time when my housemates would tussle with each other trying to enter the bathroom first. No time for breakfast (except for Nad). Only nescafe and iced-lemon tea. During lessons, we learn and study while chuckling to ourselves, trying to bear with the lecturers’ jokes. Yes, Mr Derick. There’s someone else who loves to joke in the class. I think Mr Derick was excessively funny recently. Not only funny as in ‘hilarious’, but also ‘_ _ _’. ‘yes, you get the idea’. Ms Say was funny as in ‘side-splitting’. The ghost in Ms Say’s house sounded like, “gegegege...”. My friends didn’t think it was as funny as I did. In the afternoon on Friday, stomach aches are common. My stomach was being tortured by no food and lots of jokes.

One of my friends once asked me, “do you wear jewelleries?”. “Not much,” I said. “Not rings, not bangles”. I told her I only wear necklaces. I only realized then that all of my three necklaces, all are heart-shaped. Then I remembered that my mother had once asked me why I love the shape so much. “Do I really?”. She told me that I was fascinated with that since I was little. “Really? Oh, I didn’t realize.” Sometimes I wondered why. But still, I don’t know and I shouldn’t care too much.

Our last day with Ms Jesrina was our day of doom.... the doom of Economics. I never cared much about the subject before Ms Jesrina came to be our teacher. At first sight, she looked quite incompetent as she was still young. “I shouldn’t expect too much from a beginner. It’s ok. I’ll take whatever you give”. That was the thought I had. Afterwards, I had this thought-“you shouldn’t expect somebody to be not good! It’s not ok! You are not able to take even half of a quarter of everything she is giving you!” Every time I pretended to understand (because I had to sometimes), I was mentally crying. Thank God, my brain was crying less everyday because my heart was beginning to get to know Economics. Now, I am crying harder than ever.

My sister called me this morning. After chatting a bit about several things, she suddenly said, “Mia, I want to be a doctor.” I was surprised to hear this because none of my parents’ children wanted to be a doctor. We all hate it. Even our mom. My little sister was actually very furious about the treatment towards my unwell mother by some of the hospital staffs. It was the first time my mom got treatment from this hospital, in Penang. So, my sisters asked how to get my mom admitted. My mom was supposed to get automatic treatment there because the doctor back in the hospital in Alor Star had made an appointment and ‘booked a place’ at the Penang hospital. The nurses didn’t care much and one of them said, “Oh, we’re sorry. We have to follow the ‘first come first served’ rule”. I was shocked when I heard this. “WHAT??! This is a hospital. People come here because they don't want to die. Would you treat a dying person later because he only registered? What a crap.” Anyway, I really hope that my sister is still inspired in being a doctor one day and I hope she’ll work hard for it.

One more thing. We really had a good time during your classes, Mr Derick. Thanks for the stomach ache I had this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment