Friday, February 13, 2009

things on TV

This week, my classmates and I had a lot of replaced lessons. So, I am quite exhausted this week, in addition to my light fever. Tati had her fever just before me so I think the fever I’m having now is from her. Thank God I’m not as ill as Tati was. I have lots and lots of homework and studying to do. I really hope that I am able to complete this course successfully so that all my efforts won’t go to waste. What I’m hoping more now is the strength and the diligence to get through this challenge. If I do get to fly to Australia, besides my family, I would be worrying how hot it is there. Australia is one of the hottest places on Earth. There are news about people dying there. In the movie ‘The Japanese Story’, Sandy even said, “People die out here. Often.” But as I recalled how people who had been overseas including Australia, told me their remarkable story when they were there, I was back in inspiration to get going.

My documentary teammates and I had just finished our documentary trailer a couple of days ago. T-rah did most of the work as only she knows how to use the Window’s Movie Maker and the Ulead. We had fun shooting because we discovered something we never noticed before. We met a guy who wore checked-shirt, loose pants, funny colourful shoes and a plastic flower head at the left shirt pocket. He had a fussy hair makeover and also wore black circular, hollow earrings. Many thought he looked funny but he made himself happy though and thanks to him, our documentary had some interesting things inside. T-rah only asked him a few questions and I wondered why she was in such a hurry. Then I discovered that she was actually scared of the black earrings he was wearing.

Talk about weird earrings, there are also those who wear heavy earrings that eventually, the lower part of their ear flaps loosen past their shoulders. Natives. At the age of around 12, they make holes in the lower part of the flaps and hang earrings of masses not less than 1kg. Gradually, they use heavier earrings so that their ear would drop loose even more. Some natives wear rings around their neck and gradually, they use more rings to extend their necks. Some make holes in their lower lips to be put clay plates inside. They too use wider plates to gradually wider the holes in their lips. All three cases are because of beauty. Definitions of beauty are different for each group of community.

I know lots of weird things happening in the world through the TV. I love to watch discoveries and documentaries. When I was around ten, my mother and I stayed up late and saw a very interesting discovery about birds. It was about how different kinds of birds try to attract their love mates. We only caught the last part of the program so, we don’t know much about the fact. In the last part of the program, all of the attracting acts were compiled and showed in only a short period of time so, everything was in a fast-forward motion. Some female birds choose their mates by looking at the ‘houses’ built by the males. Male red-breasted robins show off their red chests to the females in a strutting pose. Some male birds jump high up in the air to attract mates.

I also love watching discoveries about lost cities. Do you know that many of today’s cities were built on a higher level than the ancient cities? In Rome, there are some obvious evidences about the fact. A modern town was built near an ancient ruin which is not less than five meters below the town level. In Paris, there is an ancient passageway below the Eiffel Tower. While many human beings nowadays live closer to the sky, some live in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment